WHAT ARE COOKIES?
Cookies are files that can be downloaded on your device from a website. They are tools that play a fundamental role in offering numerous online services. These services include allowing a website to store and recover information on users’ navigation habits and on their devices and, depending on the information gathered, they are used to recognize the user and improve the service provided.
TYPES OF COOKIES
Depending on the entity that manages the domain from where the cookies are sent or on the way it treats the data obtained, we can distinguish between two types of cookies:
• First-party cookies: those sent to the user’s device from a system or domain managed directly by the operator who provides the service requested by the user.
• Third-party cookies:those sent to the user’s device from a system or domain that is not managed by its operator, but by another entity that handles the data obtained through the cookies.
If cookies are installed from a system or domain managed directly by its operator, but the information collected is managed by a third party, they cannot be considered tfirst-party cookies.
Cookies are also categorised based on the length of time they are stored in the users’ browser. They include:
• Session cookies: designed to collect and store data while the user is accessing a website. They are used to store information that is needed to provide the service requested by the user only on a single occasion (i.e. a list of products purchased).
• Persistent cookies: the data they collect are stored on the terminal and can be accessed and handled for a specific period of time, which may span from several minutes to several years.
Lastly, based on the purposes for which they are used, cookies can be divided in five more:
• Technical cookies: These cookies are needed in order to browse a website, platform or application and for it to work properly. They allow, for instance, to monitor traffic and data communication, to identify sessions, to access restricted sections, to memorise the items part of an order, to submit a request to register or participate in an event, to use safety elements while browsing and store content in order to show videos or sounds and share content through social networks.
• Customization cookies: They allow the user to access the service with some general features predefined according to a series of criteria in the user’s terminal, such as language, the type of browsers through which they access the service, the regional configuration of the area from where the service is accessed, etc.
• Analysis cookies:allow the person responsible for them to monitor and analyse the behaviour of the users of the websites to which they are linked. The information collected through this type of cookies is used to measure the activity of the websites, applications or platforms and to create navigation profiles for the users of these websites, applications and platforms, to make improvements based on the analysis of the data used by the users of the service.
• Advertising cookies:allow to mange advertising spaces in the most efficient way possible.
• Behaviour advertising cookies: store information on the behaviour of users obtained through the continuous observation of their browsing habits, which allows them to develop a specific profile to display advertising based on it.
DEACTIVATING AND DELETING COOKIES
You have the option of allowing, blocking or deleting the cookies installed on your device through your browser settings. When you disable cookies, some of the available services may cease to be operative. The method for disabling cookies is different for each browser, but it can normally be done from the Tools or Options menu. You can also check the browser’s Help menu, where you can find instructions. You may select which cookies used by the website you want to allow at any time.
You can allow, block or delete the cookies installed on your device through your browser settings:
• Microsoft Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge: http://windows.microsoft.com/es-es/windows-vista/Block-or-allow-cookies
• Mozilla Firefox: http://support.mozilla.org/es/kb/impedir-que-los-sitios-web-guarden-sus-preferencia
• Chrome: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/61416?hl=es
• Safari: http://safari.helpmax.net/es/privacidad-y-seguridad/como-gestionar-las-cookies/
• Opera: http://help.opera.com/Linux/10.60/es-ES/cookies.html